Lord Shiva represents as
- Face on head represents the Ganges, the holy river, signifying the flow of scriptural teachings passing wisdom from one generation to the next.
- Trident represents the three powers of knowledge, desire and implementation.
- Moon on forehead symbolizes that the Lord is the master of time and is himself timeless.
- Drum symbolize sound which represents the words of the Vedas, the holy scriptures given by the Lord to guide us through life.
- Large oval dot on forehead is the third eye of knowledge which, if opened, reduces to ashes the person in its vision. It is a symbol of the Destroyer of evil and ignorance.
- Serpents on neck signify the ego which once mastered can be worn as an ornaments.
- Rudraksha beads denote purity. The mala or rosary in the right hand symbolizes concentration.
- Wearing a tiger skin. Shiva is said to be fearless.